- Filter and softener assembly with mounting bracket
- John Guest angle stop valve
- Inline shutoff valve
- Outlet tee with flushing valve
- (2) John Guest 3/8” adaptor, threaded to push connect
- (6 ft) ⅜” LLDPE tubing (additional tubing available separately)
- Water hardness test strips
Water pressure should be 2-3 bar, or 30-45 psi. A water pressure regulator is available separately, and would be installed between the filter assembly and the espresso machine. Read all instructions printed on the cartridge labels, as well as those included with the John Guest angle stop valve.
Notes on cutting and connecting tubing: Never use scissors, side cutters, or any method that will crush, flatten, or kink tubing. Use a sharp razor blade or specialty tubing cutter to produce a clean 90° cut. An angled cut, burrs, or kinking may result in leaks or damage to push connections. All long runs of tube should be cut so as to leave slack in the system. Any force on the push connections from tight sections of tubing may result in leaks. This slack also makes it easier to perform maintenance on the system in the future. Make sure tubing is fully inserted into push connections.
Test your water regularly for appropriate hardness level. Replace cartridges after softening 850 grains of hardness, or every 6 months.
See photo on next page for illustration of the following instructions.
- Install 3/8” adaptor at “IN” labeled side of cartridge head.
- Install outlet tee into “OUT” labeled side of cartridge head with flushing valve pointing downward.
- Install inline shutoff valve into female threaded end of outlet tee with control lever facing outward.
- Install 3/8” adaptor into female threaded end of inline shutoff valve.
- Mount cartridge assembly using appropriate hardware for mounting surface.
- Install John Guest angle stop valve at cold water source under sink according to instructions included with valve.
- Cut and fit tubing to connect angle stop valve to filter inlet. Cut and fit tubing to connect inline shutoff valve to push connect fitting in the braided line to the espresso machine.
- If using pressure regulator, it should be installed between inline shutoff valve and braided line to machine.
- THIS STEP IS CRUCIAL. Make sure inline shutoff valve and flush valve are both closed. Open the water supply valve and then open the flushing valve. The filter and softener system need to be flushed before sending water to the espresso machine. We recommend flushing 3-5 gallons of water through the flushing valve. Once this has been done close the flushing valve and open inline shutoff valve to send water to the espresso machine.
- Check for leaks. If any are found, close angle stop valve. Try tightening any leaky threaded fittings. If leak cannot be stopped by tightening fitting, it may need to be removed and re-wrapped with thread sealing tape. Open angle stop valve and check again for leaks.