Join Ben as he demonstrates how to set up and dial-in the ECM V-Titan Espresso Grinder. Dialing in your grinder isn't always easy. We discuss the steps to fine-tune your grinder for the best possible extraction. Please note that Clive Coffee also offers a grinder dial-in service if you prefer to have someone else do that hard work for you!
Step one: Out of the box and onto the counter
- Remove the grinder from its box and place it on a solid level surface.
- Inspect the grinder for any damage, if you notice any contact us immediately
- Unthread the hopper screw and insert the hopper
- Plug the grinder in and turn it on
Step two: Feeling the coffee
- Put some beans in the hopper and grind them into your hand
- Feel the grounds. For espresso, they should feel similar to table salt. Not as fine as powdered sugar, and not as coarse as sand
- If too fine, use the worm drive to adjust coarser. Too Coarse, adjust finer.
- It can take many rotations to make a reasonable adjustment, but be sure to run the grinder when adjusting finer.
Step three: Nailing the dose
- Now that the grind is in the ballpark, it’s time to start pulling shots
- First, grab a scale and tare the weight of the portafilter
- Using the portafilter, press and hold the grind button, releasing when the basket is full
- Now weigh the portafilter. Add or remove grounds as necessary to get to 18g for a double basket, or 20g for a triple basket.
Step four: Adjustments - drop time
- Now you can compress the coffee with your tamper. Remember, tamping pressure is less important than making sure your tamp is level.
- Insert your portafilter and start the shot. We’re going to be watching for the time of the first drops of espresso.
- We’re looking for those first drops of espresso to fall between 6 and 10 seconds. If they fall outside the window, you’ll have to adjust the grind setting: under six seconds will be thin and sour; over 10 seconds will be bitter.
- Make small adjustments. This will be easier than making big changes and overcorrecting.
Step five: Total shot time
- Grind a fresh full dose, tamp, and pull your shot.
- This time we’ll be looking at the full shot time
- We’ll be looking for a target output of: 1.5oz / 30g espresso in 25 - 30 seconds.
- If it falls under 25 seconds, adjust your grind finer. If it falls over 30 seconds, adjust coarser.
Step 6: Time dosing
- Now that we have our grind dialed, we can set up the grind timer for consistent and repeatable dosing.
- With the hopper filled the Titan will take approximately 4.8 seconds to grind a 20g dose.
- To set up the timed dosing, press both the plus and minus buttons simultaneously. Then, when the display shows “t1” quickly press the plus button to edit the first timed dose setting. Using the plus and minus buttons, set the time to 4.8 seconds.
- To use the single dose setting use the portafilter to press the grind button once. You can use the second timed dose setting (or t2) by double tapping the grind button with the portafilter.
- Weigh the portafilter again. If the dose is too small, increase timed setting. If it is too much, decrease it.
Once you've dialed in your grind, it's time to start pulling shots! Check out our All About Coffee & Milk section to learn about steaming milk, latte art, our suggested starter espresso recipe and much more!