Learn how to clean your coffee grinder or espresso grinder following the simple steps below. The easiest way to clean a grinder is to run Grindz through it every couple of months.
The following is from our partners at Urnex:
Before using Grindz, make sure to empty your hopper of any old coffee and adjust your grind 3 to 4 steps coarser.
- Add 1 packet (35 grams) of grinder cleaner tablets into empty grinder.
- Grind the whole package through your grinder and discard.
- Add 40 grams or 4-5 tablespoons of old coffee to your hopper.
- Grind the coffee to help push through any Grindz left in the burrs and discard.
If you're out of Grindz, or would prefer to go a more manual route, we recommend the following:
- 1 can of compressed air
- 1 vacuum with nozzle attachment (optional)
- 1 brush
- 1 clean, dry towel
- Remove the hopper and empty it of any whole bean coffee.
- Use a clean, dry towel to wipe out the inside of the hopper. Avoid using a damp towel–any extra moisture in the grinder can cause ground coffee to stick to the burrs, resulting in jams and stalls.
- Use compressed air and a brush to clear any coffee in the burrs and grind chute. We recommend covering the top of the grinder with a towel to minimize coffee spraying into the air.
- If you have a vacuum with a nozzle attachment, use it to clean any loose coffee from the burrs, chute and counter.
- Replace the hopper and open the hopper throat.
- Enjoy your freshly cleaned grinder!